Tsuwano’s built heritage: Tawara-Kasen sake brewery
The sake brewery that started business in the Kyouhou period (1716-1736), but the current building was built at the beginning of the Meiji period (1868-1912). On the two sides of the shop a ishou-gura (clothes storehouse) and a dougu-gura (tools storehouse) was built. The shop is a two storey building with a wooden structure. The style of the roof is called kirizuma-zukuri with pantile roof tiles and a smaller roof attached along the facade of the building. The first floor has a big white facade and three mushi-ko-mado style windows. On both side one can see sode-udatsu, which are small walls jotting out of the surface, to prevent the spreading of fire from the neighbouring buildings.
The shop is hard-packed floor, and on the right of the counter a path leads to the back of the sake manufacturing place. The residence part of the building on the left has a center garden, and a visitor’s toilet remains, a fashionable show of wealth in the late 19 century. The painted old sugi wooden doors from the domain lord’s palace are still preserved on the premises.
Back to Tsuwano’s built heritage map