1. HOME
  2. センター日記
  3. Tsuwano’s built heritage: Tsuwano Town Hall

センター日記

Tsuwano’s built heritage: Tsuwano Town Hall

The building was built in 1919 (8th year of Taisho period) as the government office (town hall) of Kanoashi district. It was also used as police station at one time, but since the Shouwa merger of towns and villages in 1955 (30th year of Souwa period) it has been the town hall of Tsuwano.

Since then, not much has changed on the outside, its faced was preserved nicely. It follows the style of Japanese public buildings of the period, with both wings jotting out of the main building, with the Byodoin Temple’s Hoo-do hall (National Treasure) as an inspiration. 

The main gate was that of Ouoka the chief retainer of Tsuwano Domain. The gate was taken out and preserved off-site at the beginning of Meiji period (1868 – 1912), and put back to its place in 1917 (50th year of Meiji period).

 

津和野役場 (旧鹿足役所)

大正8年(1919)に鹿足郡役場として建設された。一時警察署として使用されたが、昭和30年(1955)の町村合併で津和野町役場となり、以降今日まで外観は大きな改変はなく当時の面影を良好に残している。大正期に流行した和風公共建築で、両脇の部屋を前面にせり出し平等院鳳凰堂をイメージした外観となっている。表門は家老大岡家の正門が明治の初めに取り外され、保存されていたものを昭和50年代に今の場所に戻したものといわれている。

津和野町伝統文化活性化協議会、平成24年3月発行