Tsuwano’s built heritage: Former Kawada house and store
Former Kawada house and store (San-shou-dou Kashin-an, 三松堂 菓心庵)
Built around the middle of the Meiji period (1868-1912), together with the Zaima house the Kawada house is one of the representative buildings of the old town area. In the Meiji period it was operated as a pawn shop, and later in the Taisho (1912-1926) it became a furniture store. The furniture was manufactured in the hongura(本蔵, the largest earthen wall storehouse). The building is a two story wooden structure with a wide shop front and three windows with small eaves on the south ookabe wall (大壁, wall bearing no exposed pillars). A central garden is surrounded by the traditional tatami room, the earthen store house, and the hanare (離れ, detached living space).
Back to Tsuwano’s built heritage map